18 September, 2013

Shanghai Sagas – Of China, Shanghai, and Tongji

Arriving in the Paris of the East, the city wastes no time in letting you know that English is a language she accepts, but does not prefer. Anyway thanks to innumerable advices by cousins, friends and CGP Grey, I was fully equipped with a Lumia in hand with a pretty simple Chinese text to English and also picture to English translations app installed; which made life pretty easy. A deep thanks to all the computer wizards I went to college with. I owe you big time.
 
The first puzzle to be solved is the most feared one – food. Specially to a vegetarian like me, this becomes as big a fear as a college Viva exam. But I’m nothing if not adaptive. It takes little time to understand that vegetarian food is readily available if you can live on leaves, mushrooms, tofu, corn, bread, noodles, fruits, rice, potatoes… and eggs. Coming from the land of the white revolution, milk becomes a problem when a liter costs 200 ₹ (Just 20 ¥ they say). For 200 ₹ I get a meal at a decent restaurant in an upscale neighborhood.  But I realize if I’ve got to live in Shanghai, my daily food expenses are going to linger at atleast 150 ₹. Well, in Shanghai’s defense it is the most expensive city in the orient and is trying to compete with Hong Kong. So far, she’s doing a marvelous job.
 
We’re put up at Gan Xun (pronounced Gan-Shun) guest house of Tongji University which conveniently lies in almost the center of the Siping campus of the University. This turns out to be good for someone who loves to explore the campus and this 607 acre campus has a lot to offer. Some of the must have articles when I go off for my explorations are the campus map, the map of Shanghai, metro map, card of the guest house, money and a phone with a translation app. It’s almost foolish to walk out without any of these articles, but then, a traveler is allowed to be foolish sometimes ;)
 
The biggest advantage Shanghai gives which I have really come to appreciate is the extensive subway lines which connect practically everything in the 6th largest city in the world. A tad expensive (by Indian standards), the tickets costing between 3 – 6 ¥ can take you anywhere in this city. And the city does have a lot to offer with hyper-bargaining enabled Qip (cheap) markets, high rise skyscrapers, supermarkets, gardens, river-banks, and of course, the Chinese favorite – KTV. It’s an extensive network of Karaoke parlors across Shanghai (and perhaps across China), where people can book a room and spend the night singing, dancing and boozing. That’s when the usually silent and calm Chinese come to life and you get to see a different aspect of their lives as if screaming out to you – WE KNOW HOW TO HAVE FUN TOO!
 
Another aspect of the Chinese culture is the amount of alcohol these guys are capable of digesting. On the onset, they seem like short and thin people, but their boozing capacity is something of a legend. Alcohol is readily available here in all supermarkets, departmental stores, and even student canteens inside the University. Talk about freedom! Yet, I’m yet to see a drunk Chinese. The cost of the drinks tempts even a teetotaler like me. Sometimes while buying dinner my Indian mind judges what is cheaper to get with the food – soda or beer?
But foodilemmas are nothing uncommon here. You realize this when you find a lot of beef at reasonable prices, but no milk, which is quite weird to me. I guess the Chinese will find an opposite paradox when they visit India in the coming semester. Another thing which my American friend Aishek pointed out to me is that there are no pigeons or stray animals here, but loads of eggs and suspicious meat.
‘I’m not judging,’ she said, ‘it’s just something I’m noticing.’ I guess I should stick to my vegetarian options.
 
Before I start with my stories, I’ll let you take a break. In the most populous city in the world, with so many people from so many cultures around, stories are sure to follow. So until next time – Kan Ni Yihou.