24 March, 2008

Princess

It was the darkest hour of the night
And I was lonely as lonely can be
Nowhere to go no place to stay
Nothing to do no ground to lay
No sky to see no heart to feel
No need to live no purpose to be.

Just then I heard a chuckle,
‘Whose there?’ I called
Another chuckle came a response
Ignoring my call at all.
But then the world glew up
and showed me my lovely companion
It was a sight and it was bright
And between us, there was none.

I saw two jewels, carefully carved in beautiful caves
Above the caves were splendid birds,
The jewels moved beneath them with pace.
The black birds tried to close the caves
but the jewels came in their way
then I realized what those jewels were
they were the most beautiful eyes I’d seen in my life

And there was the song of the cuckoo
A sound so soothing to the ears
I wanted to listen to it for eternity
I wanted time to stop at that moment
So I could hear the voice forever
I was when I looked I realized
That the cuckoo’s hum was her song
And that too with the smile
that can make you want to see it forever

I wanted that smile to make nest
on those small ruby lips
I wanted to see it for eternity
And I cursed god for only two eyes
As it was too less to enjoy her beauty

I hid myself behind a bush
So that the princess would not spot me and stop her song
But I was too late you see
For by then she was already walking towards me
She came to me and asked me
why the night had come to me
I was unable to speak, overcome by her beauty
She asked again and I had to reply
‘I have no home’ I said to her
‘No place no one would like me in their hearts
No one I would like in my soul’
She laughed and I remembered
The chuckle which started it
It was the same but now more
As it had beauty till the core.

‘Who are you?’ I asked
She said nothing, nothing at all
She took my hand and asked to follow
I did so I did it at her hollo
We walked the empty streets together
But that was not my lookout
I felt her hand in mine
And felt the warmth in my mind

Never was such a pleasure
never such a feeling at all
never I felt this way before
never in my dreams I could hope for this
Her hand was like everything to me
her presence made me free
Her touch was so gentle her walk so calm
I feared my hand too harsh for my little angel’s arm
seldom I would look into those deep black eyes
and seldom check if the smile was still.

But nothing changed in that expression
only the charm grew and grew
she looked more beautiful with every passing moment
with that eternal smile,
that night-like hair
that charming face
those humble, magnificent, deep, black eyes.
She gave me a place in her heart
But I did not want that now
I just wanted to sit infront of her
and look at those silver eyes
and silence would sit between us
strengthening the bond as time passes
then she, would go to sleep
and I would see her
eyes close though but the smile still there
‘What are you looking at?’ she asked suddenly,
‘Nothing’ I lied, coming out of my dream
The smile was almost going to vanish, I felt,
but it had its position, though it flickered a bit.

And then thunder struck, the sky was filled with clouds
Hail and lightning everywhere, as the heavens had a war
She drew herself close to me
But I went back too, away from her
I dunno why I did it, I regret it still
But I had her presence and it was good.

There was a knock on the door,
I wondered who came at this time
She opened the door and encountered
demons on each of her side
They threatened her and jeered
They mocked her and cheered
And it was then I noticed
those deep eyes were filled with tears,
that smile had turned into a fright
her face showed terror, the lips trembled
she gave me a look of fear, I did not like it did not like it at all
I dunno what came to me but I stood up
stood to challenge the three devils and took on them at once
It was as ugly as could get,
I was helpless against the three
They were over me, ready to finish it
and in that painful fearful moment,
I looked at her
Her eyes were wet
and body shaking
She prayed to God for something
and looked at me with helpless, expecting, wet eyes.

I could not stand it
and there was a miracle
within seconds the devils ran for their lives
the power of love had shown its strength
She ran to me and I took her in my arms
and it was the most wonderful moment of my life
I looked at her and she looked at meand we broke apart, though unwillingly
We didn’t say anything, that was the biggest fault
the greatest malaid the most painful memory
I could’ve told her my heart’s will
but silence and fear were stronger than me
I feared I may loose her, feared the world
But the world would not share this pain
and as I didn’t tell her, I lost her forever.

Today I have come along a long path
along the road of life
I cannot turn back to the point
where we separated
maybe she’s not even waiting for me
But something tells me that she is
but I still cannot go back.
I left no footprints on the desert of life
but I know the way to my destination
and I know that she’s waiting there
and when she’ll see me she’ll run back to me
come again and embrace me again
and then I would not let her goand then taking her hand,
we would walk together
on the road to go.
We will have one path and one goal
but right now I have to travel alone
To get her to go back to her
To see her again
I must and I shall
and the world shall see the power of love
my love for her and her for me
But now I see the moon
and I hope she’s seeing it too
I see her face in the moon for a moment
and it goes I make it go
I cant see her, along with those craters
cant believe her to wane
cant imagine her to look so dull
cant imagine her so far from me.

So I turn to the eternal sky
and it says that it’s a patron of love
it says it will take care of her in my absence
and it will force the wind to take my messages to her
it will always protect her
and under his fatherly nourishment
those eyes will shine brighter
that that smile will flourish
The sky says it will take care of her
But I won’t give it much chance
Soon I will be back to take care of her
I will be able she will come
I know she’s there
I know she’s waiting
May demons try, may thunder strike
may night fall, may sun blaze
but I know, I know that
I will go back to my princess.
I will go back.
I am on the way right now
The way is of fire
with pots and pans at every few inches
her love is stronger than these obstacles
For her love I will face it
and go to her and say ‘I’m here’
And her face shall brighten up
But I’ve got to run now
with only her memory
Memory, which gives me strength
to walk along this thorny path
At the end of which lies my golden treasure
And will be happy, ever after.

-Vishal Gupta